Dr. Tarak Patel, Ahmedabad
|Course completed||Duration||Institution||Year of Completion|
|Spine Foundation Fellowship||2 years||Lilavati hospital and research centre, and breach candy hospital, Mumbai, India||January 2011|
|Clinical Spine fellowship||6 weeks||University of Cardiff, UK||June 2011|
|Visiting Spine fellowship||3 weeks||Ganga hospital, Coimbatore||April 2011|
|Spine fellowship||3 weeks||Apollo hospital, Chennai||February 2011|
|M.S. Orthopaedics||3 years||NHL medical college , Ahmedabad||April 2008|
|M.B.B.S.||5 years 6 months||B.J Medical college, Ahmedabad||April 2005|
- Currently practicing as a Consultant Spine Surgeon in Ahmedabad.
- Working as Consultant Spine Surgeon and Minimally invasive spine surgeon at Columbia Asia Hospital, Ahmedabad.
Work Experience in Spine Surgery:
- Working as a full time spine consultant in Ahmedabad since July 2011
- Spine Foundation Fellowship under Dr Shekhar Bhojraj – Lilavati hospital and research centre, and breach candy hospital, Mumbai 2009-2011
- Spine Fellowship ( Cardiff, U.K.) – May – June 2011
- Clinical fellowship at Apollo Hospital with Dr Sajan Hegde, Chennai – February 2011
- Clinical fellowship at Ganga Hospital with Dr S Rajasekaran, Coimbatore – April 2011
- Trained for deformity correction and scoliosis surgery, Kochi – April 2013
- Trained for Minimally invasive spine surgery and Endoscopic Spine Surgery at GOA – May 2014
- Attached to LG Hospital (AMC-MET Medical College) as a honorary spine surgeon.
- Involved as an Instructor in postrgraduate instructional course series at Lilavati Hospital and Research Center-2009, 2010
- As a faculty in Basic spine workshop conducted by Spine foundation in Nasik, Kolhapur and Mumbai, in 2010
- Course instructor in Dr P. S. Ramani’s cadaver course on Sub Axial Cervical spine, 2011
- Worked as a senior registrar in department of Orthopaedics at NHL medical college, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India. I have given lecturers, conducted tutorials and case presentations with under graduates.
- Co author in book chapter of ASSI Text book of ‘spinal infection and trauma’ – on management of thoracic and thoracolumbar tuberculosis, first edition, 2011:167-176
- Rare presentation of spinal chondrosarcoma with both intraspinal and intrathoracic extension. Journal of spinal surgery 2009, vol.1 (1):50-53
- Recurrent aneurismal bone cyst of cervical spine: A case report. Journal of spinal surgery 2011, vol.3 (1): 618-621
- Operative technique – Transpedicular approach: A gateway to the spine. Journal of spinal surgery 2010, vo2 (2):420-425
- CT guided biopsy : Is histopathological diagnosis essential in spinal lesions? A case of primary spinal PNET. Journal of spinal surgery 2009, vol.2 (2):387-390
- Post surgical epidural haematoma: complication of spinal surgery. Journal of spinal surgery 2009, vol.1 (2):119-121
- Presented a paper on – ‘Transpedicular approach in spinal tuberculosis- analysis of 96 operated cased of spinal tuberculosis’ at ASSICON 2010 , Nagpur
- Presented a paper on – ‘Results of Postero lateral fusion in Low Back Pain’ at ICS 2010, Mysore
- Presented a paper on – ‘Transpedicular approach in spinal tuberculosis- analysis of 102 operated cased of spinal tuberculosis’ at GOACON 2011, Mt. Abu
- Thesis – Comparative study for surgical management of fracture supracondylar femur with intramedullary implants versus extramedullary implants
- Lecture on ‘Role of Non operative management in Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy’ in CME organised by Gujarat Spine association, 2012.
- Oral presentation on ‘Management of Lumbar Disc Prolapse’ and ‘results of kyphoplasty in VCF’ in CME organised by Patan medical association, 2012.
- Lecture on ‘tips and tricks for micro lumbar discectomy’ in Video operative spine course organised by Ahmedabad Orthopaedics Society, July 2012.
- Oral presentation on ‘clinical features and treatment of spinal tuberculosis’ in CME organised by Sami-Harij medical association.
- Lecture on ‘ Spinal cord stimulation for pain management’ in CME organized by Dept. of Physiology, AMC-MET medical college, Maninagar
- Lecture on ‘selection of approach in spinal tuberculosis with neurological deficit’ in annual meeting of Spine surgeons Association of Gujarat (SAG), in Ahmedabad April 2014.
- Oral presentation on ‘ laminectomy for cervical spondylotic myelopathy in annual meeting of Ahmedabad Orthopaedic Society, in May 2014
- Lecture on ‘literature review for treatment of lumbar degenerative scoliosis with unilateral radiculopathy’ in CME by SAG in Ahmedabad.
- Invited faculty at CME organised by Himmatnagar IMA on ‘Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery’
- ASSICON 2015, Pune
- Attended the First national conference on minimally invasive spine surgery, MISSICON 2014, Ahmedabad
- Attended ‘Meet the Masters’ meeting on deformity correction held at Chennai, September 2014
- Hands on cadaveric workshop on Endoscopic spine surgery, Goa, May 2014
- Workshop on ‘Cervical Pedicle Screw insertion’ , March 2014, Delhi
- GOACON 2014, Ahmedabad
- Cadaveric course on Minimally invasive spine surgery and Balloon Kyphoplasty, Ahmedabad, 2013
- AO Spine scoliosis week, Kochi, 2013
- AO spine advance course, 2012, Ahmedabad.
- WIMAT ‘vertebral augmentation course on cadaver’, Cardiff, 2011
- GOACON 2011, Mt. Abu
- ASSICON 2011, Mumbai
- WIROC 2010, Mumbai
- AO Spine principles course, July 2010, New Delhi
- Attended ‘Instructional Course in Spine’ held by EURO SPINE and ASSI at Mysore, September 2010
- ASSICON 2010, Nagpur
- Annual conference of Maharashtra orthopaedic association, Nasik, October,2010
- Participated in cadaveric workshop on ‘thoracic spine exposures’ in June 2010 at JJ Hospital, Mumbai
- WIROC 2009, Mumbai
- Attended ‘Instructional Course’ in spine held by EURO SPINE and ASSI at Khajuraho, August 2009
- Attended Workshop on Medical Statistics held at P D Hinduja Hospital Mumbai, May 2009
- Participated cadaveric workshop on ‘Cervical Spine Fixation’ march 2009, Mumbai
- Attended Annual Conference Of Spine Surgeon’s Association of Gujarat January 2009
- Participated in cadaveric workshop on ‘Lumbar Pedicular Screw Fixation’ January 2009 held at NHL medical college, Ahmedabad
- Post graduate teaching course- January 2008
- Attended AO Introduction Program March 2007, Ahmedabad
- Attended Gujarat Orthopaedic Association ” Mid Year CME-2007″, Baroda
- Post graduate teaching course-January 2007
- CME programme organized by National AIDS control organization, March 2007 held in Ahmedabad
- Post graduate teaching course-August 2007
Stood First in NHL medical college in the M.S. orthopaedics exam held in 2008 by Gujarat University, Gujarat, India.
Clinical Experience in Orthopaedics in details:
|Spine Foundation Fellow||Feb 2009 to Jan 2011||2 years||Lilavati Hospital and Research centre, Bandra,,Mumbai, India|
|Spine Fellowship||May – June 2001||6 weeks||University Hospital of Wales and University Hospital of Llandough, Cardiff university, Cardiff, UK|
|Spine Fellowship||April 2011||3 weeks||Ganga Hospital, Coimbatore|
|Spine Fellowship||February 2011||3 weeks||Apollo Hospital, Chennai|
|Consultant orthopaedic surgeon||July 2008 to Jan 2009||7 months||Lions Orthopaedic Hospital, Viramgam, Gujarat|
|Senior Registrar in Orthopaedics||May 2008 to June 2008||2 months||V.S. Municipal Hospital, NHL medical college, Ahmedabad, Gujarat|
|Senior house officer Orthopaedics under the guidance of Dr. Y. J. Desai||May 2005 to April 2005||3 years||NHL medical college, Ahmedabad, Gujarat|
Details of Work:
- Spine Foundation Fellowship – Lilavati Hospital And Research Centre, And Breach Candy Hospital, Mumbai 2009-2011 Worked with Dr. S. Y. Bhojraj, one of the leading spine surgeon of India. I got an opportunity to assist him in various Spine surgeries and also to assist him in the Clinic. Surgeries of Spine consist of decompressions in lumbar, dorsal and cervical regions, instrumentation of spine-hartshill with sublaminal wires and pedicle screw fixation- for trauma, tumor, correction of spinal deformities-kyphosis, scoliosis, kyphoscoliosis. Also under his guidance I had independently performed various spine surgeries.
- Spine fellowship in Cardiff, UK – I have done 6 weeks fellowship at University hospital of Wales and University hospital of Llandough in Cardiff, where I had an opportunity to work with six different spine surgeons, which taught me multiple approach to handle same clinical scenario. I also attended hands on cadaveric course on vertebroplasty organized by WIMAT (Wales Institute of Minimal Access Therapy)
- Spine fellowship in Ganga Hospital, Coimbatore – Had worked with Dr S. Rajasekaran, where I had ample of exposure to all pathologies including spinal deformity. Also had hands on course on microscopic surgery. There I assisted in many cases including Microscopic surgeries.
- I have done clinical spine fellowship at Apollo Hospital, Chennai, 2011with Dr Sajan Hegde I had learned technical aspect of interbody fusion and scoliosis correction from him.
- I have also worked as a consultant orthopaedic surgeon at Lions Orthopaedic hospital, Viramgam. There I performed independent surgeries – Nailing, Plating of long bone fractures, fixations of intra and juxtra articular fractures.
- I have also worked as a Registrar in Orthopaedics at V.S. General Hospital, Ahmedabad from May 2005 to April 2008 under Dr. Y. J. Desai. I performed independent surgeries – Nailing, Plating of long bone fractures, fixations of intra and juxtra articular fractures. I assisted many spine surgeries.
- Shekhar Y Bhojraj – M.S. (Ortho), F.C.P.S. (Ortho.), D.Ortho Spine Surgeon at Lilavati Hospital, Bandra, Mumbai, India
- Pankaj R Patel – D.Ortho., M.S. (Ortho), F.R.C.S. (Ortho) – Dean, NHL medical college, Ahmedabad
- Yatin J Desai – D. Ortho, M.S. (Ortho) – Head, Department Of Orhtopaedics, Sheth V. S Municipal Hospital, Ahmadabad
- Amit C Jhala- Consultant spine surgeon, V.S Municipal Hospital, Ahmadabad
- Abhay M Nene- consultant spine surgeon, P.D.Hinduja national hospital and research centre
- Sheetal B Mohite – consultant spine surgeon, Lilavati Hospital and Research centre