Dr. Shekhar Bhojraj, Mumbai
University Of Bombay
Inter Science : March 1975
MBBS : October 1979
MS (Orthopaedics) : March 1983
College Of Physicians & Surgeons, Bombay
D (Ortho) : March 1982
FCPS (Ortho) : March 1983
- AO spine fellowship 1989 – University of Nottingham, UK
- AO spine fellowship 1991 – University of Berne, Switzerland
- Y. Cotrel spine fellowship 1991 – Paris, France
- Kenton Leathermann Spine Fellowship 1992 – University of Louisville, Kentucky, USA.
Teaching Experience – University Of Bombay
Past appointment :
- Professor in Orthopaedics Chief Neurospinal Unit K.E.M. Hospital and Seth G.S. Medical College, Bombay (1988 till 1993)
- Consultant Spine Surgeon Spine Clinic P.D. Hinduja National Hospital & Medical Research Centre (1993 till 2006)
Special Awards And Achievements:
- Past President – Association Of Spine Surgeons Of India
- A A MEHTA GOLD MEDAL for the BEST PAPER at the ANNUAL IOA CONFERENCE at VISHAKHAPATNAM, AP- 1987
Title : Transpedicular Decompression For Lesions Of The Thoracolumbar Spine
- BEST PAPER AWARD for the paper title : Palliative Spinal Surgery For Spinal Metastases AT ASSICON meeting in BANGALORE, 1988
- YOUNG SURGEONS FORUM AWARD PRESENTATION ON Pre And Post Operative Mri In Spinal Tuberculosis at the ANNUAL WIROC MEETING OF BOMBAY ORTHOPAEDIC SOCIETY – 1990
- PROFESSOR DARAI SWAMY MEMORIAL ORATION AWARD PRESENTATION on Surgical Management For Thoracic And Thoracolumbar Hyperkyphosis at CHANDIGARH – 1999 (JUDGES DR. S.M. TULI & DR. S.S. YADAV)
- BEST ACADEMIC CONTRIBUTION AWARD for THREE PRESENTATIONS ON SPINAL SURGERY at the ANNUAL WIROC MEETING of BOMBAY ORTHOPAEDIC SOCIETY – 2000
- 1st IN BIOLOGY IN INTERSCIENCE EXAMINATION, MARCH 1975 – UNVERSITY OF BOMBAY
- 1st IN ORTHOPAEDICS IN MS ORTHOPAEDICS EXAMINATION – MARCH 1983 – UNIVERSITY OF BOMBAY
- President and Chief Trustee of Spine Foundation
This foundation is involved in serving the poor patients in urban city of Mumbai and tribal- non tribal rural population of and around Gadchiroli in association with an NGO called SEARCH.
The Spine Foundation is involved in training of young orthopaedic surgeons in the field of spine surgery and also has been conducting Spine Workshops across India to promote Spine Surgeries amongst the orthopaedics and neurosurgeons.
- Economical options in Spine Care
- Quality healthcare for the poor- rural and urban
List Of International Publications:
- The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery – March 2001 (American + British Publications) Tuberculosis of the craniocervical junction
- Bilateral Vocal Cord Paralysis after anterior cervical fusion in Whiplash injury. Neurol. Spine, 2000; 53:586-8 (American Publication).
- Primary Hydatid disease of the spine – an unusual cause of progressive paraplegia. Neurosurg (Spine) 91:216-218,1999 (American Publication).
- Bone scintigraphy in tuberculous spondylodiscitis. Eur Spine J (1999) 8: 205-209 (European Publication).
- Progressive cord compression secondary to thoracic disc lesions in Scheuermann’s kyphosis – A new approach to management of a rare clinical entity. Eur Spine J (1994) 3:66-69 (European Publication).
- One-Stage “Front” and “Back” Correction for Rigid Cervical Kyphosis – A new safer technique of correction. (1993) SPINE Volume 18, Number 13, pp 1904-1908 (American Publication).
- A New Management Approach to Decompression, Posterior Stabilization, and Fusion for Cervical Laminar Exostosis. (1993) SPINE Volume 18, Number 10 pp 1376-1379. (American Publication).
- Flexion – Distraction injuries of the Thoracolumbar and Lumbar Spine. SPINE : State of the Art Review – Vol. 7, No. 2, May 1993 (American Publication).
- Post traumatic cervical spondyloptosis at C6-7 with late onset cord compression: a new clinical entity. Neurosurg 77:792-794, 1992 (American Publication).
- Preoperative embolisation, ‘transpedicular decompression and posterior stabilisation for metastatic disease of the thoracic spine causing paraplegia. Paraplegia 30 (1992) 292-299. (British Publication).
- Early Results of Unconventional Pedicular Screw-Plate Fixations – The Indian Experience. SPINE-Volume 16. No. 10 1991 (American Publication).
- The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery – August 2001 Tuberculosis of Thoracic Spine ((American + British Publication).
- The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery – Accepted for publication this year – Recommendations for treatment in Lumbar Tuberculosis.